How to care for our products CARE KIT plates & boards CARE KIT shelves & wine racks CARE KIT table tops ♥ CARING FOR YOUR TU LAS PIECES ♥ TU LAS products are made from natural and noble materials. They are beautiful and durable, but every once in a while, they do need a soft […]
If you've been with us for a while, you probably know by now how much we apreciate the calm meditation of working with wood. But did you know that woodworking can sometimes get pretty intense?
discovering shou sugi nan: a dance of wood and fire
We are excited to share with you the details of Shou Sugi Ban (or Yakisugi 焼杉), a traditional Japanese technique of preserving wood with fire. Yes, you've read it right - fire! This method of burning wood not only creates a striking visual effect but also enhances its durability and longevity.
crafting charred elegance step-by-step
Here is a step-by-step guide of how our Shou Sugi Ban products come to life:
- First, we select the timber to work with. Yakisugi traditionally uses cedar or cypress. We always go for local wood though, so we found a perfect match among trees native to Poland: the noble ash.
- Next, it's time for the hot stuff: we char the wood with a torch, creating a layer of carbon on the surface. The intensity of the flame and the length of time can be adjusted to create different shades of char. We always go for the deepest black.
- After charring, the we brush the wood to remove any excess soot and debris.
- To seal the deal, we apply a coat of natural finish to protect the wood and bring out its unique texture.
- Voilà! A new batch of deep black trays or shelves is ready, and we can skip the gym for the day.
deep black trays and shelves
Shou Sugi Ban is a fun and exciting woodworking technique, striking the perfect balance between design and eco-friendliness. At TU LAS, we are thrilled to offer a range of burned ash products in the deepest black:
We are also always happy to discuss custom projects: in fact, our CUT serving boards are a result of a custom collaboration. Whether it's non-standard sizing, intricate shelving, or specific ideas: simply drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org whenever inspiration strikes.